Old 02-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default how do I put worms into topsoil to get the best survival rate?

theakson said:

I have several pounds of worms coming and 420 sq ft of raised bed to put
them in. Should I :

a: just drop them on the surface and let them drill down?

Put them on the surface (make sure it is well watered) and cover them with
a bit of light mulch (shredded leaves or straw). Be sure to wet the mulch, too.

If these are composting worms (red worms, Eisenia foetida) they won't be
very happy living in the soil. They prefer aging compost, leaf litter or
old manure piles. They don't live in soil burrows like nightcrawlers or
garden worms. They are best put to use in in vermicomposting or
'finishing' bulk compost.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)