Old 02-05-2003, 01:32 PM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Starting Seeds

BIG SNIP

For a number of years, I was real big on cell flats, but more and more I am
going back to my old method of using flats. I haven't done any actual
quantitative studies, but it seems like more seedlings survive in the
flats, and the quality of the trees is better. I still use cells for
special cases like acorns where I prune off the seedling radicle to remove
the tap root and improve the root system. This results in a lot of seeds
dying, but the survivors are much higher quality. After a couple months, I
take the survivors out of the cells, examine the roots, prune again if
necessary and repot into 2 3/4 inch pots. They take off really fast with
this process.

Brent, this sounds REALLY interesting to me. Could you detail this out? I
have a few acorns that I would be willing to practice on, but I need to have
more detail as to what to do. I was going to just ask this in a private
note, but decided to follow the maxim that if one is willing ask the
question, there are problem more who would also be interested.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++