Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Fish do feel pain

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
t...
I assume this thread started after the television ran coverage on an
experiment where a substance (I came in late so I didn't catch what it

was)
was injected into the brain of cold water fish, and they reacted in a
fashion that the researchers described as "pain". duuuh.....
Some researchers are a piece of work!
It reminds me of my early days in training when the senior "experts" in
pediatrics said not to "waste time sedating babies" needing procedures "as
they don't feel the pain, they just demonstrate an instinctive response."
The sad thing is they really believed that for quite a few years!
It is interesting that none of us "younger" (then anyway) staff agreed

with
them.
Kind of makes you wonder if some of the aggression/lack of empathy some
adults have may derive from certain childhood experiences doesn't it?

Is there even a creature on the planet with a central nervous system that
doesn't feel pain? Is that possible? Sounds ludicrous to me.

BV.