Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Jim Webster

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

"Berube" @home wrote in message ...
I think that your right Jim. Being from Canada, and being involved
directly with agriculture, there is no distinct advantage to having a

round
up ready wheat here. The ag chemicals on the market here now do a

wonderful
job on the weed spectrum, and we have some great varieties of Red Spring
Wheat.

Oh I have every confidence in the fact that in the areas where RR doesn't
give an economic advantage, it will not happen. In those areas where it does
give an edge, then,political interference aside, it will.

Canola, on the other hand, has great advantages in the round up ready
system. Along with higher yielding varieties, we can now control problem
weeds such as cleavers and hawksbeard. Of the 7,000,000 acres here that

are
devoted to canola, about 80% of them are devoted to round up ready canola,
10% to clearfield canola, and only 10% committed conventional canola.

By the way, Gordon, if you are reading this, I totally understand what

you
are saying about a No till system, as it is happening here exactly the way
that you are explaining it. As far a Torsten is concerned, he's just an
IDIOT with no practical knowledge.

the problem is too many people think that you can understand agriculture
from reading about it, but it doesn't work like that. Also the level of
ignorance show in agriculture and agricultural techniques by some of the
people involved in the debate on GM is almost frightening

Jim Webster

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
I don't think RR wheat has the market RR cotton an beans have. It has

market where cheat grass, wild oats and a few other weed that can't be
killed in wheat by today's herbicides. But the tech fee will limit it

those situation. That is still a good market because there are a large
number of acres of wheat and cheat and wild oats are a big problems.

But
2
or 3 years of RR wheat should clean up a cheat problem. I don't know

how
long it takes to clean up wild oats. I never got it done.

I wonder if RR Wheat is actually aimed at a more european market? Oz is

far
more up on weeds we have here, but wild oats can be a problem in some
places.
Jim Webster