Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Bill

Default Fish do feel pain

"BenignVanilla" m wrote :

Is there even a creature on the planet with a central nervous system that
doesn't feel pain? Is that possible? Sounds ludicrous to me.

The theory (IIRC) is that pain is a conscious response to nerve
stimulation. People clearly feel pain because we say so. Many other animals
don't act as if they feel pain. They show aversion to damage, they show
incapacitation, but they don't act like the animals that feel pain act. As
long as they still function, and as long as the danger of additional damage
is past, they seem to behave normally.

So some people conclude that their brains are not wired to have a
conscious response to nerve stimulation (which makes sense, because what
would they do with it?). All they seem to have are non-conscious,
instinctual responses.

---