Old 02-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Miniatures - can't keep them living

Michelle J Jordan wrote:

I am new to the mini-rose scene and am having horrid luck with them. Have
now managed to *kill* my 4th one. Tried the first 2 inside the house; they
dried up and fell apart within first 3 days no matter what I tried with
watering. Tried the 3rd one outside in a pot; it died in 2 days. Decided I
would try drastic measures with the 4th one and did the terrarium with it.
It looked great for 2 weeks, moisture on inside of glass seemed good,
thought I had my problem licked but now have discovered rose seems to have
rotted and all leaves and blooms have fallen off.....
HELP -- I love the looks of the little guys but what do I do to keep them
around?

I'm also new to miniatures but the four I got earlier this year are
doing wonderfully. I bought them from Nor'east Miniatures and
immediately upon receiving them, put them in the ground in a bed. I
watered them daily for the first three weeks upon the advice of the
planting pamphlet that came with them. All the inital buds that were on
them when they arrived have bloomed and additional buds formed since
then have bloomed also and they're growing. All in all, after about
five or six weeks in my care, they appear to be thriving.

As far as fertilizer goes, that entire bed gets osmocote. I'm still
debating about whether or not to put in some rose fertilizer spikes near
them.

As to water, we've had a very wet spring for central NC so they have
gotten lots of natural water. I haven't been careful to make sure the
leaves don't get wet as my beds make that darn near impossible. NO
problems (knock on wood) so far with these babies.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu