Old 02-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim Webster

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message
I can't see how you raise cattle in that much rain. My experience is wet
weather and cattle are a poor mix. I am sure your cattle are acclimated to
different conditions than ours. As a rule here you never ship cattle east

wetter conditions if you want to make money on them. We buy cattle from

the
south east and they do great here. Some how the vet school got some

mountain
cattle in from Colorado and had pure hell keeping them alive.

rain makes grass. I don't think you would believe the sort of grass growth
we accept as normal. Certainly at the moment ordinary perennial rye grasses
are growing so quickly that you dare not stand still in a mowing field or
they will knock you down.

The problems we can get are Pneumonia at winter housing, building design as
to take that into account, and for most of us, winter housing is brought on
because the ground is too wet.

But obviously our cattle are used to it, and to an extent yours are
descended from the same ancestors so it shouldn't be a problem to get them
back eventually.
But this spring has been strange, three weeks ago I had a calf in a calf
hutch (like an individual kennel) go down with sun stroke because it didn't
have the sense to lie in the shade like its mates. Today I had one with
exposure because it hadn't the brains to keep out of the driving rain last
night.Hopefully just bringing them into the buildings and fussing over them
a bit is all it takes to bring them round

Jim Webster