Old 02-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Kim

Default They're HERE!!! S&W order arrives! [LONG]

In article ,
says...

Is the "droopy appearance" something to be concerned/worried about?
Are they in distress in some way? Do they need water, or what?
Advice here, please.

Water them regularly. Get some Vitamin B1 and follow those directions.

Can you point me in the direction of a preparation to use? As I've said, this
is my first time and I don't know the proper things to use yet for different
circumstances...

Another question -- In looking over the plants to see what needed to
be pruned off, I noted that a number of canes that I would have
chosen to "prune" had new, active growth, some even with buds, too
close to the end of what I thought was a "dead" cane. Some of the
healthy looking shoots with buds were hardly 1/4" or so away from the
end of the bigger, "dead looking" cane end. Is that usual?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Ummm, let me try to rephrase it.

When you go to put a new plant in the ground, you look it over for canes that
appear to be dry/dead/dying, right? And you prune off things like that back to
where you know they are "alive"?

In looking over the plants yesterday, some of the largest canes looked kind of
dried out on the very ends. Even if I'd wanted to nip off a teeny bit of them
to make sure they were healthy, there were small, green & healthy looking
branches -- some with buds on them -- coming out from the cane barely 1/4" to
1/2" away from the cut end of it.

Given what I have just described, is in NOT an absolute that "you must prune
the ends of canes" when you plant them?

Forgive me if I'm being less than precise.

Not knowing which of the roses are grafted ones versus own root (mini
I know is own root), and not having found a site (yet) that lets you
search a database on "own root", I don't know if any of my new babies
are "own root". Can a rose be found in both an "own root" and a
"grafted" form, or are they only one OR the other?

Yes. Even the patent owner selling its own roses will sell some OR,
some budded. Fourth of July is a perfect example, sold both ways by
Weeks.

Thanks. Whenever possible I'll look for own root ones. :-)

Of the ones I
got, are any of them "own root"?

Baby Grand is undoubtedly own root. I doubt any of the others are.
Weeks tends to sell shrubs own root and to bud others. Own root Weeks
roses have a label that says Own Root, but the budded roses say
nothing.

I left the tags on them but will remove them soon and give them a look over to
see if any of them comment on it.

Enjoy. Weeks has a wonderful selection of roses, and I don't think you
can go wrong selecting from their varieties.

I hope so! The droopies do worry me. I watered them last night since the
rainstorm passed us by and they look a little better but I'm still concerned.
Will have to go get something like you've told me about to put on them. I
don't know how easy or hard that stuff may be to find in this area, though.

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis