Old 02-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Bill

Default Fish do feel pain

"BenignVanilla" m wrote :

So some people conclude that their brains are not wired to have a
conscious response to nerve stimulation (which makes sense, because what
would they do with it?). All they seem to have are non-conscious,
instinctual responses.

What is an example of such a beast? IMHO, pain is a necessary part of our
subconscious, like breathing.

Right, sub-conscious or non-conscious. That's the response to nerve
stimulation, not pain. Pain is what we think about nerve stimulation.

Without pain, I could sit on a sharp spike and
bleed to death before I even knew what happened.

Without nerve stimulation and an instinctual -or- a reasoned response
you could. But pain is the consciousness of nerve stimulation, not the
stimulation itself nor the reaction.

Just like nerves are stimulated in the eyes, but it is the brain which
sees and reacts.

---