Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Fast growing climbers

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

If Eccremocarpus will do so will Solanum laxum (syn jasminoides) Album
flowers for around 8 months here and is evergreen

Sorry, but that is not so.

Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

Facultative semi-woody evergreens that can also grow herbaceously
like Eccremocarpus scaber are usually entirely different, and it
is. That is even excluding the fact that it can grow and self-seed
as an annual in the right place.

During the same period that I established E. scaber and so did another
person I gave some plants to, I lost a S. crispum to frost. As
evergreens, they may be comparable, but E. scaber may survive being
cut back by frost when S. jasminoides won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.