Old 23-01-2003, 09:07 PM
madgardener

Default 5 inches of snow!

ahhhh you finally got some snow there in South Cackalacky........lol, yeah,
we got 4-5 inches here in Dandridge, west of you just past the I-40 line at
the 81 split. It's been fluctuating between 21o (a heat wave!) to 13o and
we're supposed to get to -2 with the 15-15 mph gusts making the windchill a
dangerous -38 tonight. We have just enough wood to do another night of
frigid temperatures, and I can actually see the perennials pulling tight as
the soil tries to squeeze some of them out of their protective nests. That
would be the newer plantings, as the roots haven't had a year or two to
establish and resist heaving. But at least there is snow cover, Pat, since
the frigid temps would stress your garden worse than no snow and this frigid
temperature you're getting. I keep kavetching about no hellebore buds yet,
but I've been playing with the Paint Shop Pro and the - button to click
past the pictures on my screen saver program, and since it shows me ALL the
pictures I have now taken since May of last late spring and into summer, as
well as the snow pictures I took last week, various blooming tropicals in
the last month and all, it's been uplifting to cruise thru hot pink zinnia's
and then snow rising on pots of sedums like over proofed white dough with
dried stems poking out. Or the new cat experiencing his first snow, and
then pictures of Keebler fudge striped cookies and caramels and caramel corn
in silver cups making little turkeys that my daughter in law made for
Thanksgiving, back to fire engine red zinnia's mingling in with plum striped
Zebrina sisters showing their skirts again for a late bloom in September
with peripheral visions of the cold blowing snow outside the edges of my
eyes thru the nook window where the icy fingers of the outside slip in thru
the uninsulated cracks.

Good day for reflections, pictures of last years flowers, good music in the
background (WNCW.org) and hot raspberry tea.

Keep warm, Loony, crocus will be poking up soon, even though the snow!
madgardener enjoying a true winter for the first time in years up on the
powdery snow covered ridge, back in fairy holler (the fairies are tucked in
under the leaves and snow adn refuse to come out, let the snow fairy and the
ice elf tromp around with their blue feet and hands, it's nap time for the
others) overlooking a beautifully textural English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee
"loonyhiker" wrote in message
Hi all! We had 5 inches of snow that came after 1am today. They cancelled
most schools and businesses here. I felt my camellia bush even shiver as I
walked by her. Tonight it is supposed to get so cold here that the
wind-chill will 10 degrees below zero! brrrrr. Is it warm anywhere? If you
have some warm air, please send some my way! I'm ready to do some

gardening.

loony
South Carolina