Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Harlan Davis

Default how do I put worms into topsoil to get the best survival rate?

Hey, Theakson, don't worry "planting" the little suckers in full darkness. Do it
anytime after about four o'clock. You just want to avoid exposing them to a warm
full sun. (Its pain in the butt to coat 1500 red worms with #35 UV protection.)
The other problem with doing it during the day is ....... carnivorous robins.
Those red breasted buggers have a sixth sense about them when it comes to
locating a tasty cache of food. So the later you spread them out in smorgasbord
fashion, the better. Be sure to cover them with the damp stuff you've already
mentioned.

Oh, and by the way, the 3 hours thing is probably a bit too conservative. Those
shipping companies have to protect their butts somehow. They would probably keep
very well in the refrigerator until the next day. The guys who sell them as
fishing worms keep them in the refrigerator for weeks. Only problem is, keeping
them in the refrigerator with a wife in the house results in rather harsh
retribution.

Harlan

theakson wrote:

It seems I can't the company delivering advise to use them within 3 hours of
delivery. Night in Chicago is around 22:00 so that would be a little late.