Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Jim W

Default Tropaeolum ciliatum - help wanted

Roger Van Loon wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Roger Van Loon wrote:

Hi Jim, yes it IS that bad, I did not exaggerate one bit. IMHO, in my
location (somewhat dry acid sandy soil) it is the worst possible weed
you can imagine. It certainly should be banned. No other weed can
compare.

Perhaps I was lucky in failing to grow it from seed!
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you certainly were.
What I can't figure out - doesn't anyone in the UK have those same
problems with it?
I'm sure that, once you have it in your garden, you will never get rid
of it.
Regards,
Roger.

I'd never heard of it till it came up in this years Chilterns
Catalogue..

I'm guessing it may not do as well in UK London clay if you have sandy
soil.. Very different conditions.. That said if it is bad as Vinca I
will be very careful with it..

Lokking at some piccies on google it does look different from T
tuberosum which has red twining petioles.. ciliatum appears to have
green ones?

It is described as having an RHS award of garden Merit and being
vigourous.. Maybe the RHS might have some advice for you!-)

Interestingly descriptions vary between 2 - 5 metres (Cotwolds Garden
FLowers )and 10 - 15 metres.. (Rare plants)

Chilterns describes it as half hardy..
All the above is from searching on google UK You might try the one for
europe (tho I found this includes a lot of US Stuff) or belgium more
specifically... http://www.google.be/ and add terms like 'cultivation'
or 'control' to your search.. That and contacting others who grow it..
There are quite a few nurseries selling this plant in the UK.. Maybe
you can make some money out of it!-)

//
Jim