Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Mike

Default Should I cut off dead Iris blooms?

Hey,

This is my second year in this house, and the irises that I planted
last year are all blooming and looking nice. I was a little surprised
that they're all coming up, they were transferred a bit early last
year so I expected that I messed something up!

Anyway, once the blooms have come and gone, I don't know whether I
should trim the dead blooms away, or leave them. Some of them bloomed
a few weeks ago, and then we had a late (but mild) frost and the
blooms are already dead, so should I leave them as-is, or will they
bloom again if I trim these off?

If I should trim them, then should I do it just below the old bloom,
or lower down the stalk?

TIA,

Mike