Old 03-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Carter

Default Tomato Reproduction

On Fri, 02 May 2003 18:52:26 -0400, Pat Meadows wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Saving seed is fine for open-pollinated tomatoes, but not
such a good idea for hybrids as the offspring will not come
true. I've had volunteer tomatoes when I lived in Delaware,
and they were OK, but not as disease-resistant (perhaps) as
the parent plants. They certainly weren't as productive, or
tasty.

You are trying to make my old brain cells jump through hoops, huh Pat. I am
almost certain that Red Robin is open-pollinated (neurons standing ready to
reorganise).

The tomato I'm trying to reproduce is (I think)
open-pollinated, but I want to have some plants before I
have tomatoes (and therefore seeds).

How long have you been trying? You are in territory that is unfamiliar to me,
but I believe it is the third generation before you know. Is that true?

I'll be participating in a local farmers' market starting in
June, and would like to sell the miniature (Red Robin)
tomato plants there, as well as other things. I don't
*know* if they'll sell well, but I'll find out.

I presume you sell them hardened off and about 8 weeks old.

I think they will, they're very cute little things. They'd
be very nice for an elderly person who can't garden anymore
or is even, perhaps, in a nursing home.

I just read something on them that says Red Robin can also be used as a
decorative plant in containers. They sound like a fun plant to grow.

I am in shock right now. Some of my seedlings have come down sick and I cannot
tell their problem. sob I have a call in to the seedling doctor, who does
make house calls.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a