Old 03-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Gyve Turquoise

Default Tomato Reproduction

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

Has anyone here ever produced new tomato plants from
cuttings? Tips, advice?

I have some mini-tomato-plants (Red Robins) and would like
to produce more of them without buying the expensive seed.

I don't know "Red Robins", but if you grow the cordon type of tomatoes, the
ones where you tie them to a stake, then presumably you're pruning lots of
bits off them. (Sorry I don't know the technical name for the "bits".) I've
found that if you let these bits get about ten centimetres long and then
pull them off you can plant them into pots of potting compost and they very
readily root. The first few days they wilt very badly, but they usually pull
through the wilted phase (don't forget to water them of course) and then you
get a very nice tomato plant. For the case of expensive hybrid tomatoes
buying one or two plants from the garden centre and then propagating them in
this way is much cheaper than buying a packet of seed.

Tomatoes are allegedly a perennial plant in their native environment, so if
you have a warm position in the greenhouse presumably you could keep
propagating plants throughout the winter.