Old 03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Will Schnabel

Default NO TIME FOR poor quality tools

AL wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

Anyone who ever holds a Snap-On ratchet in their hot little hand will never
buy another Craftsman ratchet, IMO.

Absolutely! And its not just ratchets - all of their tools have a
quality feel that's unmatched by any other brand. (except for the
knuckle busters - why oh why did Snap-on stoop so low as to make a
crescent wrench???)

Many years ago I worked in a Snap-On plant - oh the sight of a tub full
of sparkling chromed wrenches....

AL

I worked in the auto repair biz for 20 years and would tend to
agree....BUT..the cost is also something to consider. The feel and
operation of a Snap-On combo wrench is beyond compare, but the prices
are inflated. The same story goes with hand ratchets, versus other
less-expensive brands. I have broken/worn out dozens of Craftsman
ratchets, and although they were all repaired/replaced without question,
the time wasted in returning them was not insignificant.

On the other hand, I own lots of Craftsman wrenches and have never had
to replace any of them due to defects. Granted, I will still reach for
the Snap-On first.

I have also been lured by the cheap prices of Chinese tools.....and been
burned more than once on that stuff. The quality is SO poor that it
probably would never make it past QC anywhere else. Had a vise I bought
that had been filled and sanded before painting because the casting was
so porous that no one would have bought it. Unfortunately, I found this
out after it broke. I also have a Chinese grinder that has wheel shrouds
and tool rests made out of sheet metal slightly thicker than a beer can.

Gotta stay away from eBay,

Will