Old 03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
oldehippie

Default [IBC] Don't get lost in the spam, was [IBC] Hi

8 snip happens 8
".... i'm currently trying to reduce the heap of spam descending upon
me by opening their mail and typing my email address into the 'remove'
thingy on their website. i mean they've already got my email address so why
not try to stop further emails by attempting to remove myself......"

First, many of these spams are derived by name generators @ domain.com.
In otherwords it generates a name and the spammer adds a domain, like
Hotmail, etc. so in effect "they" don't have your address, until YOU
validate
it by respnding in some manner to the spam.

Want to really fight spam goto: http://www.samspade.org/ or other spam
fighting site and read and learn. Sam Spade has some free software to aid
in finding the originator of most spam you might get. There also are
several
newsgroups that fight spam and offer help and information.

Olde Hippie

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers