Old 03-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

Default Current land use and what to plant

Strawberries and a permanently build asparagus bed would do very well. Also
garlic seems to do well. Have fun with the blueberries. Dwayne

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
t...
I have come into posession of a piece of property, 10+ acres, Zone 5B in
Western New England. I'd like to begin clearing it and planting fruit and
nut trees, preceding construction of a new home. The property is solid
eastern white pine, with infrequent occurences of wild cherry, poplar and
white ash. I'm assuming the soil is highly acidic, as the pines can
contribute to this, and I have been told that the land was once open and
covered with wild blueberries. The soils are very sandy, almost gravelly,
and dry, although there is a permanent swamp/wetland in one corner

occupying
about two acres of the property.

I am looking for ideas, either as a resource in print for a planting

guide,
or web site, or simply some suggestions about what types of species of
plants for edibles will do well in that type of soil. I plan on clearing
about half or less of the property. Right now it's a bit

"sun-challenged",
and really doesn't have a good exposure in any direction.

I'm planning on putting some blueberries in, and I am familiar with the
acid-loving nature of azalea and rhododendron, but what else will survive?
--
Jon Endres