Old 03-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Slow Leak

Default Adding Potassium - any thoughts

I would not mess with individual component fertilzer as it will just
frusterate novice. It could help if you know the deficiency you are dealing
with. though. Potassium is always safe to add moderately. Really there is no
magic here. The requirements are

-2-4 watts per gallon of fluorecent T8, PC, or T5 lighting 8-10 hrs per day
in small tanks
- Alkalinity 80 ppm, Hardness of 120-80 ppm depending on area you live that
is good for south american plants
- pH controller with co2 diffuser to pH 6.7 to 6.8 (this is called high tech
in some circles)

when this is set correctly then....

-add potassium sulfate at 1/4 teaspoon week per 200 liters with 25% weekly
water changes. This will reduce nitrates and appearance of green peas soup
water. It may come and go still within first 3-5 months of setup though.
- when nitrates are zero at 1ml per 20 liters of PMDD recipe (33gm MgSO4, 14
gm KSO4, 6 gm KNO3) and discontinue adding potassium sulfate. I use an Eheim
Liquidoser and it works great because I am too busy to do this.
-Shortly after I will use 1/2 dosage of Tropica Master grow weekly.

With the liquidoser 35 usd, pH controller 200 usd, diffuser 60 usd, and
regulator 100 usd, and bubble counter 20 usd, and light timer 25 usd. I have
an almost algae free tank with only feeding and weekly water changes
required. Anything can be grown with this recipe.

I made my own micronutrients as well using Fe-EDDHA wich is difficult to
obtain with other DTPA/EDTA of Cu,MO, MN Zn. The Iron is very soluble and
available in that form.I can sell One liter bottles to anyone who cares
further experiment . It really does work great.

Slow Leak

"Madpiano" wrote in message
Hydroponics don't exist in the UK.

Sorry I can't help you with your white powder (maybe you can sell it on

some
backstreet and do a runner ? ;-))

KentMarine have just released a whole load of FW Fertilizers. I have just
ordered the Potassium from them. As soon as it arrives, I let you know

what
else (apart from Potassium) it contains.

Hope you get help with your powder

Greetings
Mad