Old 03-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Keith R. Williams

Default NO TIME FOR poor quality tools

In article ,
says...
In misc.rural davefr wrote:

Craftsman is a little lower in quality but not as much as you'd think.
(a little hunkier form factor but probably about as strong as Snap On
which is a tad more compact and can get into tighter spaces).

For tight spaces, the angle of rotation of the handle needed to get a
"click" on the ratchet can matter. Finer teeth=more chance of getting
that one almost-unreachable bolt out. Beats doing the "pull it out, turn
the socket 1/12th of a turn & re-insert" trick over and over. The
snap-on (and probably others) ratchets have finer teeth than the
Craftsman, and I can think of one particular starter bolt on one
vehicle of mine that is impossible without a very small arc of spin.

I have a Craftsman ratchet that has incredibly fine teeth (I
think they're double teeth). It's likely 30 years old and they
certainly haven't made them in a long time. It has the release
button and the knurled wheel on the face. I wish they still made
these! I'd love to have a 1/2" drive.

2. Snap On is a "cult".

HOS"pecking order" of mechanics is often a
function of who has the largest Snap On "hot dog stand' w/the most
tools.

That is true; some of it is branding. But, they did get a reputation
for a valid reason.

Sure, though the reason isn't the tool. Snapon service sells the
tools. IIRC, Snapon killed a lot of their business by allowing
too many franchises. Wasn't there a class-action suit against
them by their franchisees?

--
Keith