Old 03-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Dan

Default Q - Beneficial bird shrubs

On Fri, 02 May 2003 08:37:32 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In the understory amidst larger shrubs you could plant little
part-shade-liking evergreen lingonberry bushes & wintergreen shrublets
which flower twice a year & produce lots of tasty berries.

Those sound nice. The area immediately north of the desired planting
area is full of mature oaks but I might squeeze a few small bushes
behind anything larger. There's a lot of bare dirt under those mature
trees. Maybe I could install a few small raised beds/mounds and plant
a few shrublets.

I'm curioius about the ban on fences. So you can't legally have an
arbor-entried enclosed garden? Local government intrusions into very basic
property rights is such a ****er. Maybe you could legally put up a
free-standing trellis for a climbing vine.

No man-made fences are allowed, such as chain link or wooden
stokade-type. Fences for farm duties are allowed, so Im liberally
using that loophole for my 8 ft fencing around the garden. The
details elude me, but I believe the township wished to keep the area
"rural-looking" (translation - let the deer run rampant everywhere).

Dan