Old 03-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Dan

Default Q - Beneficial bird shrubs

On Sat, 03 May 2003 00:22:13 GMT, "Mary Shorkey"
wrote:

I think you should consider some evergreens like juniper or holly the bird
will use them for both food and cover. The waxwings love juniper berries and
cardinals and other birds eat holly berries, I also have Highbush
cranberries and each year some bird will nest in it, and the robins and
waxwings eat the fruit in early spring.

Thanks for the recommendations, but deer are an extreme menace here.
The juniper and holly would have to be so covered with netting that
the birds would probably get caught. But I'll try & plant one or two
close to the house; perhaps chicken wire flat on the ground around the
area will be enough. Do either require a pollinator, or can they be
planted individually?

Dan