Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Mystery algae photos

Step by step:
"K30a" wrote in message
Lee wrote
I wanted to know what it is so I know how to control it.

Well, not knowing anything about UVs...maybe someone else can answer that
concern.

If it showed up in my pond I would -
* get around to buying a skimmer net

I have the skimmer net, as shown in the photos. Most of the algae is
currently getting sucked in the skimmer and caught by the window screen
pillow and the "bridal-veil-in-a-bag" that serves as my prefilter. But it
gets so full it slows the water down going to the pump!

(I have the catalog on my desk ;-)
then I would skim it off, which is probably what you are doing now, to

keep the
reproduction rate down
* stop feeding or cut way back on feeding the fish, especially if I had a

nice
fuzzy algae on the side of the liner.I would probably feed some veggies if

feared the fish would starve! I have two nice bunches of watercress in the
fridge now.

ACK! Quit feeding???? They like their veggies, but it doesn't take the place
of that stuff that goes "splash" when it hits the water. The only phase of
my water chemistry that's out of phase at the moment is nitrAtes, which are
running about 20.

* not wait for my shipment of water hyacinth and go down to the fancy

nursery
and pay major bucks for their sickly looking water hyacinth, figuring if I

have
excess nutrients in the pond they would perk those hyacinths up.I might

even
put up a temp. greenhouse over my filter to help them through the still

cold
nights.And hopefully the WH would starve the new algae that showed up.
One year I had this gloppy algae floating around, light green and in 5" by

5"
islands.
I plopped a water hyacinth in the middle of each gloppy island and it was

gone
in a week.

Duh! WH, of course! I have that stuff I purloined a few weeks back, some of
which is in the waterfall/stream (man, if that isn't wishful thinking, I
don't know what is!) area. I'll plunk that in the pond when I get home
(Bye-bye roots!) and rotate some of the puny stuff from the back yard into
the waterfall. If the roots last long enough, maybe they'll get the chance
to do something. If not, then the fish will have a fresh snack!

Lee

k30a