Old 03-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Tomato Reproduction

On Fri, 02 May 2003 19:56:01 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

skipping the rest, sorry - we're in a rush today

I've not tried to reproduce hybrids via seed - they just
volunteered! So I don't know how many generations...

I just read something on them that says Red Robin can also be used as a
decorative plant in containers. They sound like a fun plant to grow.

They *are* a fun plant to grow.

I've only grown them in containers. They will grow happily
and produce little tomatoes in a 6" to 8" pot. They prefer
to be outdoors but a sunny windowsill will do.

I plan to sell them in a 6" pot and, yes, they will be
already hardened off. I think I'll ask $5 for them. I see
Patio tomatoes being sold at our local garden center for
$6.95.

I have a lot of 6" pots, we bought a wholesale amount - not
all for Red Robin tomatoes g, but for other purposes as
well.

We're building a hoophouse and raised beds this summer and I
hope to sell produce and plants at the local farmers' market
next summer - whatever I sell this year is in the nature of
a rehearsal and 'learning the ropes' sort of thing.

I am in shock right now. Some of my seedlings have come down sick and I cannot
tell their problem. sob I have a call in to the seedling doctor, who does
make house calls.

Oh dear. That is terrible. I'd be in shock too.

I hope they will recover quickly. No problems of this type
here so far.

Pat