Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default English bluebells

The message
from (jane) contains these words:

Does anyone in Bucks/MiddlesexHerts area (30 miles radius of Watford)
have a gardenful of unwanted *English* bluebells (ie the ones with
purple pollen) that they wish to get rid of to a good home?

Obviously I can't dig them up from the wild but if anyone is about to
go mad trying to eradicate them from their own garden (eg see grape
hyacinth thread!!!!!!!!) please let me know.

I have been trying to get a clump going in the garden for three years
now (from two cultivated bulb pots bought from a garden centre) and
they don't seem to be spreading at all, and I'm now thinking my
allotment orchard would be a marvellous place to grow them.

I don't want Spanish or Hybrid bells (both have cream pollen) as there
are way too many of those about!

They do take three or four years to really get going, from either bulbs
or seeds. I despaired the first year or so after I'd planted 50 bulbs
bought in the green. The last couple of years (Year 4 & 5) they seem to
be about doubling in flowering stems each year.

Janet G