Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Fast growing climbers

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

If Eccremocarpus will do so will Solanum laxum (syn jasminoides) Album
flowers for around 8 months here and is evergreen

Sorry, but that is not so.

Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

Facultative semi-woody evergreens that can also grow herbaceously
like Eccremocarpus scaber are usually entirely different, and it
is. That is even excluding the fact that it can grow and self-seed
as an annual in the right place.

During the same period that I established E. scaber and so did another
person I gave some plants to, I lost a S. crispum to frost. As
evergreens, they may be comparable, but E. scaber may survive being
cut back by frost when S. jasminoides won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sorry, my Eccremocarpus stays evergreen I did not realise they were
herbaceous elsewhere. I suppose the original poster could try Ercilla
volubilis Roger Van Loon says his was OK in Belgium, its certainly vigorous!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk