Old 03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Fast growing climbers

On Fri, 02 May 2003 19:22:17 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

Nick,

I must beg to difer, here in North Wales, I inherited a solanum crispum
with my garden when I bought it. Since then we have had 2 weeks frozen
with snow (2001), and more recently, heavy frosts and very cold weather
right through February this year. I've never seen any damage on the
solanum crispum in all this time, in fact it is flowering right now.

Can anyone tell me when and how to prune one of these? It's starting to
outgrow its alloted space - removing the tree that was smothering it has
caused it to grow a lot!

Sarah