Old 03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Cass

Default Neglected roses

simfan wrote:

Thank you for the links. It seems likely problems are due to nitrogen and
molybdenum deficiency.

Most decent fertilizers with micro-nutrients have molybdenum. Home
Depot sells something called Dynamite. Gromore Rose Food has minors, I
think. Liquid kelp has lots of minors. At this time of year, with cool
soils, nitrogen is the most likely culprit.

I'll start a photographic record immediately to diagnose.

What's a good simple organic way to neutralize acidic soil?

How acid? If you're telling me you want to put lime on soil with a pH
of 6.5, I'm going to turn green. Those of us out in the alkaline west
would kill for that pH.

Here's a webpage on balancing pH:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/soil_pH

Most of us make our soils more acidic by adding organic matter nitrogen
fertilizers. How much to add to change the pH is the question and often
involves a soil test.

Cass wrote:

In article , simfan
wrote:

Thanks. I'll take advantage of the good weather and do it now.

I've posted a message in rec.gardens titled "Need help with yellow leaves
problem" which has got no response. Do you think you might help me out
here,
too?

What is the yellow leaves problem? A number of nutritional issues cause
yellowing, but each one is a bit different. Sometimes the new leaves
have a yellow tint with green veins. That's chlorosis. Sometimes the
bottom leaflets on a stem yellow and drop when the rose is in vigorous
growth mode.

Here are textual descriptions that make you into a hypochondriac:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/g...een/diagn.html

http://www.primalseeds.org/nutrients.htm