Old 21-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Gilgamesh

Default Power stats for Forage Harvesters

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 2/20/03 12:41 AM, in article , "Oz"
wrote:

Mari Meron still about?
Doubtless wizard baez still slums it occasionally.

I don't remember either of those names at sci.physics. I think that's
where I saw this puzzle. Take a circular pasture with grass growth even
over the full area. Put a stake at the edge of the pasture with a rope on
it. Tie a hungry critter on the other end. How long should the rope be

so
the critter can get to only 1/3 of the pasture? Express the length in
relation to one of the circle's dimensions such as radius, diameter or
circumference.

Dean

I don't know the answer.

Area of pasture = 3.1471 * radius * radius.
Radius for 1/3rd area = 1/(3^.5) full radius.

We knew that back in Sumer in 3000 BC, but it looked more elegant in
cuneiform.

--
May glorious Shamash make his face to shine upon you

Gilgamesh of Uruk
(Include Enkidu in the subject line to avoid the spam trap)