Old 03-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Cass

Default They're HERE!!! S&W order arrives! [LONG]

In article , Kim
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Is the "droopy appearance" something to be concerned/worried
about? Are they in distress in some way? Do they need water, or
what? Advice here, please.

Water them regularly. Get some Vitamin B1 and follow those
directions.

Can you point me in the direction of a preparation to use? As I've
said, this is my first time and I don't know the proper things to use
yet for different circumstances...

Sure. Safer Vitamin B1 Plus. Alaska Startup. Miracle-Gro Quick Start.
Lilly Miller B1 Plant Starter. Don't add anything with nitrogen
fertilizer.

Another question -- In looking over the plants to see what needed
to be pruned off, I noted that a number of canes that I would
have chosen to "prune" had new, active growth, some even with
buds, too close to the end of what I thought was a "dead" cane.
Some of the healthy looking shoots with buds were hardly 1/4" or
so away from the end of the bigger, "dead looking" cane end. Is
that usual?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Ummm, let me try to rephrase it.

When you go to put a new plant in the ground, you look it over for
canes that appear to be dry/dead/dying, right? And you prune off
things like that back to where you know they are "alive"?

In looking over the plants yesterday, some of the largest canes
looked kind of dried out on the very ends. Even if I'd wanted to nip
off a teeny bit of them to make sure they were healthy, there were
small, green & healthy looking branches -- some with buds on them --
coming out from the cane barely 1/4" to 1/2" away from the cut end of
it.

Given what I have just described, is in NOT an absolute that "you
must prune the ends of canes" when you plant them?

Forgive me if I'm being less than precise.

Your precision is just fine. I didn't understand what you were
asking. No, you do not have to prune anything off, especially if the
tips look just dry as opposed to black or diseased. Trimming off dead
stuff is more important with bare root roses than with potted roses.

Not knowing which of the roses are grafted ones versus own root
(mini I know is own root), and not having found a site (yet) that
lets you search a database on "own root", I don't know if any of
my new babies are "own root". Can a rose be found in both an
"own root" and a "grafted" form, or are they only one OR the
other?

Yes. Even the patent owner selling its own roses will sell some OR,
some budded. Fourth of July is a perfect example, sold both ways by
Weeks.

Thanks. Whenever possible I'll look for own root ones. :-)

Of the ones I got, are any of them "own root"?

Baby Grand is undoubtedly own root. I doubt any of the others are.
Weeks tends to sell shrubs own root and to bud others. Own root
Weeks roses have a label that says Own Root, but the budded roses
say nothing.

I left the tags on them but will remove them soon and give them a
look over to see if any of them comment on it.

Don't remove the tags. Leave them on forever, especially the metal
ones. They are the permanent identification of your roses, for you and
for anyone else.

Enjoy. Weeks has a wonderful selection of roses, and I don't think
you can go wrong selecting from their varieties.

I hope so! The droopies do worry me. I watered them last night
since the rainstorm passed us by and they look a little better but
I'm still concerned.

Will have to go get something like you've told me about to put on
them. I don't know how easy or hard that stuff may be to find in
this area, though.

Vitamin B1 is available everywhere at garden centers or at hardware
stores. You'll be fine and so will your roses.