Old 28-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Gordon Couger

Default WHEN TO CUT DOWN TREES

"Marcus Williamson" wrote in message

Is it real I heve to cut down the trees when the moon is going down?
In case of affermative answer, what is the why?

Yes, there is a connection.

When the moon is full, there is more sap in the wood. This may be
better or worse for building, depending on opinion...

Two quotes, for example:

"Workers who followed traditional methods cut the mesquite tree posts,
center beams, and the rest of the wood used for making the jacales
during a full moon. They believed any part of the tree cut during the
new crescent-shaped moon retained the sap and so attracted insects,
which left a powdery mess that rotted the wood. Houses made of such
wood would not last long."
http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/ra...chapter011.htm

"Napoleon I. directed that the felling of naval timber should take
place only from November 1 to March 15, and during the decrease of the
moon, on account of the rapid decay of timber, through the
fermentation of its sap, if cut at other seasons."
http://72.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DR/DRY_ROT.htm

There are signs of the zodiac to do almost everything for those that believe
in them. It probably comes from the importance of keeping track of the moon
for planting seasons. Thirteen moons at the same phase is exactly one year
and is one way of keeping up with the seasons. The others rely on noting the
longest and shortest day but that works poorly in the tropics. There you
have to count moons or observe the stars. Counting moons is the simplest.

If you use the moon to keep track of the year the same day will fall on the
same phase of the moon and I think the signs of the zodiac should be the
same. I am not sure about the last part. But in farming planting, harvest
and a great many things happen every year about the same time so going by
the signs makes good sense using that calendar. It doesn't work with a 12
month calendar very well.

Gordon.