Old 03-05-2003, 11:44 PM
MC Emily

Default Branch growing below the graft

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "MC Emily" contains these words:

Hi

I have a Wild Cherry (bought in) that I planted during the winter of
2001/2002. It's about 6 feet tall now and doing really well. My
problem is that it has a branch growing from below the graft.
Should I leave it or should I cut it off?

Are you sure you bought wild cherry, (prunus avium/ gean /mazzard)?
I'm puzzled about why prunus avium would be grafted in the first
place, and what kind of rootstock anyone would think of putting it on!

(snip) It does, however, look slightly different to the rest
of the tree in that it's leaves are greener, whereas the other
branches have leaves that are tinged with red.

That sounds to me as if the reddish-tinged leaf part is possibly
prunus padus colorata, a form of bird cherry, or one of the ornamental
crabapples.

No, it's definitely a Cherry. It could have been a flowering Cherry. It's
possible that I got it mixed up with another one.

Jaqy