Old 04-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Holmes

Default One wasp

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I personally wouldn't have put the "even" in front of the hornets.

They
don't occur where I live now, but when we lived further south we had
them in the garden. They're much more docile and less aggressive

than
wasps - big stripey pussycats, in fact :-)

Malcolm

That's how I think of bumble bees. My wife runs a mile, but I think

they
are sort
of "cute". I can be dead heading plants and they land in a flower next

my
hand - they never seem the slightest bit interested in me so I leave

them
to it.
Live and let live. Wasps on the other hand - its open warfare!

Bumble bees I remove from the house by closing my hand around them -

since
they rarely sting and it doesn't hurt much if they do. Wasps I'll admit

tend to flick with a fingernail and then flick them out the window -

some
live, some don't. Hornets I remove using a glass and a piece of paper.
The same for honey bees, though often they can be directed with a hand

wave
or too.

For those that want to try the experimental method of working out what

you
have by how much the sting hurts - wasp stings hurt a little (rather

more
than a nettle) and a bee sting hurts like hell and the sting is left

behind
with the venom sack still pumping. Not sure what a hornet sting is

like,
probably like a wasp.

Hmmm the wasp that stung me left its sting in my leg!

I would have thought it unlikely to have been a wasp then,
more likely to have been a bee.

Wasps are able to withdraw their stings, bee stings are
retained in the skin.

Alan