Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Richard Periut

Default rhubarb

Dwayne wrote:
Get on rec.food.recipes and ask for ways to use it in your cooking. My wife
makes cobbler, pies, Etc. I dont care for it much, but she and several of
my friends and relation love it.

Dwayne

"stan" wrote in message ...

Barbara Beardsley wrote:

Hi
This will be my first harvesting of rhubarb (planted last year, when I
didn't TOUCH it, as the nursery suggested, and I could harvest SOME the
following year...)
So how do I tell if it's ready? I live in NY (zone 7) I believe the

variety

is Victoria- it's at the stage where the stalks look like celery (tinged
with pink)
Also I read that you should always cook it- it's too tart to be eaten

raw??

Thanks

Barbara

Sounds like its ready to be cut. Cut at the base, clip the leaf and

eat/cook

away. It is really not a good plant to eat raw. Take a bite from the first
stalk. Yuck! But cooked with strawberries, raspberries or other fruits it

is

delicious. Or even with a bit of sugar or honey it is great. Great for

pies

too.
Stan (zone 5)

As a frequenter of rec.food.cooking, you'll get faster results. You can
also do a google search under Groups, and you'll get instant access to
hundreds, if not thousands, posts.

Also, The Joy of Cooking, has a great Rhubarb Compote.

Enjoy,