Old 04-05-2003, 08:32 AM
williamd

Default Beginning gardening again- advice needed

I grew up helping tend a vegetable garden which was but a thorn in the
side of a young boy wanting to do other things with that free time. Now
in my forties I'd love to get my hands back in the good earth & watch
life spring from something I've planted & tended. At last I have a large
back yard where I can do just that. I thought I was a country boy at
heart & knew something about this sort of thing, but I'm finding I'm
ignorant on several points.

For one thing I grew up back East where it was taken for granted that
every seed or plant of any sort needed a bit of fertilizer under it at
planting. 10-10-10, or something like that comes to mind. Manure compost
was also popular. I now live in northern Oklahoma where needs may be
quite different. Can anyone tell me whether I should use the supplement
or just drop 'em in the ground?

Since I love fried green tomatoes but can never find them for sale I've
decided to grow my own. I'm thinking of starting with maybe a couple
dozen tomato plants & some cucumber seed, probably little else for now.
I know Spring comes earlier here, but I think it isn't too late to get
these started?

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks much & happy
gardening.

bill

__