Old 04-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Setzler

Default eggshells

I used to crush the egg shells and even roast them in the oven, but boy that
stunk. If you have trouble with blossom end rot on your tomatoes, you can crush
a few in the bottom of the planting hole for the toms. but mostly just compost
them. I have NEVER heard of peeling out the membrane, and see absolutely no
sense in that. The will compost faster if you crush them a little, though.

susan

Peggy wrote:

I'm just getting into this composting thing, and I heard if you add
eggshells, you have to peel out the membrane inside all of them prior to
adding - is this true? I'm a pastry chef and have lots of shells every
week - can you add too many shells?
Thanks for any input.
Peg