Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
~ jan

Default Heron!

I thought I was gonna luck out and never get one of these phone calls,
"Hey neighbor, there's a **BIG** bird on your roof!"

Actually I didn't pick up the phone my "clueless" middle son answered, but
must have sensed that the urgency in my neighbor's voice must have meant
that Mom really needed to know there was a BIG bird on the roof, so he
came and found me. I rushed out to the deck over looking the koi ponds, no
bird. So I looked up and didn't have to wait long before this long beak
with eyes locked with mine.

I actually had to wave my arm and yell at it.... I guess motionless people
are to be presumed as possible statues. Anyway, thank goodness no fish
losses. That the heron came for lunch and not an early breakfast or late
night snack when my neighbor might have been gone.

The scarecrow is now on continuous and sensitive setting. I've got an old
fish wind sock out on my furthest pole until a new shiny streamer thing
arrives next week. If scarecrow comes on it hits a windchime, though I need
a louder one. Also heron scarer is cleared of algae.

That shot about 2 hours of my Sunday.s ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a