Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim W

Default Mushrooms

fBill McCarty wrote:

My local upscale supermarket carries an impressive stock of
mushrooms. These include morels and black truffles of Perigord,
(at $500 a pound and kept in a glass case, under lock and key.)
Question: Has anyone tried to propagate such mushrooms by dicing and
planting a few of them ? Words of wisdom are woefully wanting
and warmly welcomed.

Regards, Bill.

You possibly *could* do it if you provide the right conditions and the
spores are ripe.. I would try mebbe to look at cultivation
instructions for the DIY packs on the web first.. Truffle 'trees'
(they need a host tree species. Hazel and Oak IIRC.) and various
mushroom, logs spawn and kitsa re available to order..

I also seem to remember that truffles are very pH sensitive.

Worth a try though.. Let us know if you succeed;-)

//