Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Matt Hanson

Default why is my bubble rate changing?

I've had a very bad problem over the last few days with my brand new
high pressure CO2 setup. (not DIY!)

I cannot keep a constant bubble going for more than a few days at a
time. Here are the factors that I have eliminated:

1) not too long of a length of tubing, to or from anything. Shorter
tubing would eliminate any kind of pressure hold. Additionally, I ran a
very short length of the larger diameter line, for this very reason.

2) constant temperatrue - not sure if even a change of 20 degrees would
have much effect, but nonetheless, it's not a problem.

3) no leaks - I bubble tested with soapy water.

4) not a regulator or valve disturbance - very sure.

So then, I have checked these things, and found nothing to be out of the
ordinary. Yet, one day I have 1.5 bubbles per second, the next day,
about 1 bubble every 10 seconds.

Does anybody else have this kind of experience?

BTW - for what it's worth, I have one of those "needle valves" from Home
Depot. I'm already starting to suspect the problem might be somewhere
there. It's not even really a needle valve, so the control is less than
desireable. I'm not quite sure how they can even be marketed as a
needle valve. Tell me folks, is it in the valve?