Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Greenie LeBrun

Default Thornless roses

Shiva wrote:

Greenie LeBrun wrote:

Shiva wrote:

On Thu, 01 May 2003 09:10:15 +1000, Greenie LeBrun
wrote:

Does any one know anything about these ?
--

Reines des Violettes is a mostly thornless hybrid perpetual. It's not
a bad rose.

Or are you talking about some kind they are marketing as thornless?

If so, why would you want one?

They are a particular strain - I saw them recently at a garden show, I
think the strain name was Smooth Touch.

Why do I want to find out more? Age and thin skin -

G Fair enough. But at your age you probably know to avoid gimmicky
things. Ever see the "Dream Roses?" Not in my dreams.

What do you like in a rose? Scent? A certain color? Bush shape? What? If
you can stand the floppy "Old Garden" rose look (sometimes called things
like "Grandmother's Cabbage Rose") you might like a rose called Paul
Neyron, which is, indeed, thornless. It is a dusky pink, makes HUGE
blooms, and has a lovely fragrance. It is nice for cutting.

Reine des Violettes is nice but a weird little rose. It grows in a
fountain shape, as though it would like to be a climber, here, and the
violet blooms are rather small, and the foliage is light grey green. It
has a lucious fragrance.

Good luck and if you find out about the Smoothies, let us know. Hope you
hang around and share, too.

--

I'm not paranoid, I KNOW the whole world is out to get me.

Don't bother replying via email I am a fictitious entity.

I have no actual preferences in colour or scent really but I do like
very dark reds and the coppery colours though as you can see I am not
stuck on them. A couple of my favorites are "Super Star" a vermillion
colur with a scent and "Tickled pink" a long lasting (up to a week in a
vase) long stemmed pink (obviously) highly scented rose.

I am moving away from the low bush styles to the two to three foot
standards as the ground seems to be getting further away each year ;-)