Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Harlan

Default Fertilizer and Alkaline Lawn

7.5 was as high as the scale went. This is just me tree lawn and I wanted
to:

- Figure out why the grass has a yellowing tint.
- Make sure that the fertilizer would not make things worse.

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 04 May 2003 16:55:46 -0500, Harlan wrote:

The reading was at the top of the scale at 7.5

Did you use tap water or distilled water? It does make a difference. Did
you take samples from 3 or more locations in your lawn and combine them,
mixing them well, so you can get an average for the whole lawn? I also
wouldn't put too much faith in the home testers. They are nice for 'ball
park' type numbers. If in doubt, then find an agricultural extension
office in your area and pay for a complete test. They are not too
expensive and they will remove all doubt on what your soil may or may not
need. Besides, hate to see you spend money on stuff you might not need.

To lower the soil ph you can use a number of things. They a
Ammonium sulfate or urea
Acid sphagnum peat
Aluminum sulfate
Iron sulfate
Elemental sulfur

You may have intrest in reading this from the university of minnesota.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...s/1731-05.html
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com