Old 05-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Joe Jamies

Default HELP: Need advice on "cloning" old cherry tree???

Hello,

My old cherry tree looks like its end is coming near. Last year it
produced quite a bit of fruit but now it looks dead and all branches
seem dry (as if dormant) except for 2 or 3 small branches high up on
the trunk which managed to develop leaves and a few buds. This tree is
a one-of-a-kind and is the only one left in rhe whole neighbourhood
(there were many before, all in a row), and it would be a big
disappointment if it were to die without an attempt to graft/bud/etc.
to "clone" it.

Does anyone have any ideas which I could attempt? Can I take cuttings
of the few small branches which have leaves? Could I buy a rootstock
and try budding onto it, now in Spring? Should I wait for the fruit to
develop and save the cherry pits for sowing? Is there any chance of
the tree surviving and producing fruit next year, even if the whole
tree is practically lifeless now?

Does anyone have experience with growing cherry trees from pits? I
tried stratification in the refrigerator on last year's pits but no
luck.

Thanks in advance,
Joe