Old 05-05-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Holy Cow!!! Phal. schilleriana...

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:39:11 GMT,
"Gene Schurg" did speak the
following bit of wisdom:

Karen,

You are lucky. When mine bloomed I checked for fragrance all the time and
nothing

Is your plant the "Pink Butterfly" awarded variety?

Sorry for not responding sooner, Gene. I never saw your reply till
just now when I was "googling" the group.

FWIW: I saw a post from Peter Lin who mentioned "Pink Butterfly" by
name. Peter said that he didn't think this plant was fragrant. I'm too
new to orchid growing to know one way or the other. (Heck... I didn't
think my plant was fragrant until I put it outside on that really warm
afternoon. Peter's post is still available via Google, for reference.

About my plant, I have no idea what variety it might be. I actually
bought it from someone on Ebay who was moving and no longer had
room for it. (It's a big sucker!) I bought it mostly for its
attractive mottled leaves, so I actually didn't care if it ever
bloomed. Basically, I was happy just living with it because its just
darned pretty. Whatever its true pedigree, it's been a delightful
house plant. Those 4 big blooms are still going strong as of today --
and they opened in late January.

I'm thinking I really got my money's worth with this one! It's a
keeper... for sure! G

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"