Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
dave @ stejonda

Default English bluebells

In message , Hussein M.
writes
On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:05:27 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

IMHO the real danger (if it really matters that much anyway) is people
dumping unwanted bluebells in the countryside and of misguided
'conservationists' buying or obtaining bluebells of unknown provenance to
'restore' a bluebell wood.

There is a bulk bulb supplier called Florajacs

snip
the bluebells were
Spanish.

I recently bought some bluebells from Florajacs. The photo on their web
site appears to be off English Bluebells
http://www.florajacs.co.uk/images/bluebell.jpg
and their description is Bluebell (Scilla Non-Scripta).

I have numerous Spanish types and intend to gradually replace these with
the English ones (correction after they've flowered this year I plan to
dig up and burn the Spanish ones so that I don't just create a mass of
hybrids). If the Florajac bluebells are indeed not English then I will
be extremely unhappy - maybe I should wait until next year before
removing the existing ones..

--
dave @ stejonda

?why do Americans chatter during London West End Theatre?