Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 AM

Default noise

"JJE O'Connor" wrote in message
I have moved into a house next to a main road. Does anyone have any advice
on how I can minimise traffic noise please ? I do not want a wall or

fence.
What plants are best for this - I've been thinking of a hedge in which

case
any advice on what sort of hedge please ?

A hedge will be of very little value. What stops noise is mass, which is why
the usual noise reduction method around places like industrial estates is a
high, wide earth bank. A good, solid, thick brick wall will be the most
effective, but you will need planning permission for the wall to be more
than one metre high. Make sure that any openings in the wall are either
baffled with another wall inside the opening, or are fitted with solid,
heavy gates and don't expect miracles.

Colin Bignell