Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default Advice on land plot (long)

"Fran Higham" wrote in message
"MDHJWH" wrote in message

(snip)I'd be putting the
house as high as possible on the north facing slope if you can.

But that position would have potential to be disasterous in a bushfire

given
how fire races up hills. A compromise of high enough to give frost

drainage
and low enough to still be above the floodline is worth thinking

about.
That sort of position shouldn't allow a bushfire to reach full raging
capacity.

The bottom of the valley and the lower slopes of the south side are
cleared for pasture. The house will go in a compromise position part
way up the south side as you suggest. We will be planting orchards and
re-vegetating much of the pasture over time but we will keep the area
around the house and outbuildings free of trees and large shrubs to
guard against fires. The material from the fire brigade and others on
preparing your house and site to reduce fire risk is mandatory reading
under these circumstances. Here is one on the web
http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/commu...otectrural.htm

David