Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Beecrofter

Default Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks

unya (Purchgdss) wrote in message ...
If you treat your dogs with Advantage, the pests on the property
should dwindle. It has worked for me well.

Revolution is what was recommended by my vet, however, I just learned yesterday
that it only kills one species of tick (deer ticks). The other will quite
happily feast away. It's gross, but it has become Sunday ritual to have each of
my three dogs lay on the front porch and pull off the multitude of ticks. The
vet said to not switch to advantage because I would lose the protection from
heartworm and ear mites.

I live in the county where Lyme CT is.
My vet councils me against "revolution" saying that taking something
internally for ectoparasites is just bad medicine.
We use the advantage on the dogs here. And the monthly ivermectin for
heartworms.
Ear mites are rarely a problem but treatable easy enough with drops.
We also duct tape our trouser legs to our socks and wear painter pants
in the brush. Maybe I won't get Lyme disease again.
Go 5 mile out of town and you see more and more guinea fowl which on a
restricted diet can reduce tick populations by about 80%
A thumb tack and a piece of duct tape is a good way to store the ticks
until you can drop the loaded tape into the fire.
Don't you just love that snap ,crackle ,pop?