Old 05-05-2003, 07:56 PM
animaux

Default Xeriscapers

Yes, Big Red Sun uses industrial elements in some of their designs. I've been
using rusted out barrels and pipe for a decade. I also like the owners. Your
place looks very nice too. Where are you located? I'm always looking for
"fresh!"

On 5 May 2003 07:03:48 -0700, (Steve Coyle) wrote:

If you want to see an installed Big Red Sun design, there is a
front yard in Hyde Park across the street from the post office at 43rd
and Speedway, just up from the Northeast corner of the
intersection,which you can spot by the large number of vertical
evergreens. I've talked to the owners about some problem areas they
have, they want to add to.
I don't think anyone would not call their designs Xeriscape these
days, but I tend to think of Big Red Sun ( if I'm in art critic mode )
as "Mediterranean Eclectic". This particular design does have a large
lawn area, their signature style which you can spot at some distance
is industrial rusted metal edging, and planters, for grasses and
speciman plants, and lots of tall evergreens. The couple who own Big
Red Sun, are good people and their East side nursery is a fun place to
visit, and they certainly think 'outside the box" which is refreshing.
We don't all want to look like a chapter out of the Wasowski book.
In my biz I have a number of customers show me their designs, and
I've seen some very good xeriscape plans out of "The Great Outdoors"
on Congress Avenue, ( and they are fairly inexpensive for design work
) and their owners and staff are very dedicated.
For me a good Xeriscape design is to take out all the lawn you can
,except for what you need for the kids and a good barbecue party, and
plant a nice mix of natives and drought resistant adapted plants.

With the exception of Oleanders I like just about everything on
the Grow Green plant list. My personal taste runs to Black Foot
Daisies, Four Nerve Daisies, Zexmenia, Plumbagos, Santolina,
Artemesias, Oreganos, Rosemary, a host of Salvias, Yaupons, Mexican
Feather grass, and a handful of others depending on the color scheme.
For a quick idea of good Xeriscape plants you can always check
out the Xeriscape trail in the Zilker park Botanical garden. ( I'm
taking my Kindergarden, gardening classes there this week where the
big challenge is to keep them from falling in the ponds at the Japanes
garden )
take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com