Old 05-05-2003, 10:57 PM
skunkybeast

Default Help w/ stud finders please(long)

I needed to find studs above my garage door to install a much needed
automatic garage door opener. I went out to home depot and bought a stud
finder. I figured that I'll get the cheapest one they have thinking I'll
only use it a few times, I bought the Zicron StudSensor SL.
JUNK! found out it can only read on smooth surfaces not like the
finished wall above my garage door. Then I go return it, and decide to buy a
Stanley (top of the line) for $30 instead of $10 I paid for the other one.
I bought the Stanley IntelliSensor Digiscan Stud Sensor and again JUNK!.
I try to test it at home in my basement on a wall with a finished side and
an unfinished side with the studs showing. I measured the distance to the
stud and marked it on the finished side. I ran it across the wall and it
showed I had a 7-1/4" stud. After 15 or 20 more tries I still could not get
anywhere near an accurate reading. I was ****ed.
My question is: are stud finders supposed to find studs in the walls or
find that there is wood in the walls somewhere. If they are real and
somebody knows a good one please tell me what where and how much. This is
just too much just to find one or two lousy studs, especially with my short
fuse. thanks, chris